Switcher Studio's Facebook integration makes it easy to stream to a Timeline, Page or Group. However, there are some instances when the integration is not an option, including:
- If you are having trouble linking your Facebook account to Switcher Studio
- If there is a known issue with the Switcher Studio / Facebook integration
- If you want to stream to a Facebook Event
Using Custom RTMP allows you to stream to Facebook with Switcher Studio without the integration.
Note: For information about what Custom RTMP is and why it's used, check out the Help Center article General Information and Options for Setting up Custom RTMP.
There are two ways to set up a Custom RTMP channel with Switcher Studio:
- Using the Switcher Studio online Dashboard
- Directly in the Switcher Studio App
This article walks through the first option because it's much easier to set up Custom RTMP using the Dashboard than it is using the iOS app.
Setting up a Custom RTMP Channel in the Switcher Studio Dashboard
The Switcher Studio online Dashboard enables users to create and edit custom RTMP channels from any internet-connected device. Many people find this option easier to use than creating a Custom RTMP channel directly in the app, because they can use a computer. Using a computer makes it easier to retrieve and copy + paste the RTMP parameters from Facebook to Switcher.
When creating a Custom RTMP channel in the Dashboard, Switcher will automatically adjust your quality settings based on a speed test. You can stream immediately after creating a channel, or you can save the channel to use later.
There are three primary steps to setting up and using Custom RTMP with Facebook:
- Creating the Live Video event on Facebook and copying the RTMP values.
- Setting up a Custom RTMP Channel in the Switcher Studio Dashboard using the Facebook values.
- Initiating the livestream in Switcher Studio.
- Initiating the livestream on Facebook.
Creating the Live Video event on Facebook and copying the RTMP values
You'll go through the same initial steps on Facebook as if you were going live, which will vary depending on what version of Facebook you're using and if you use Creator Studio and Live Producer. For this example, we'll show the steps if you're using Creator Studio and the newest version of Live Producer, which we recommend.
- Log into the Facebook Page or Group you want to stream to, using a web browser.
- Under Create Post, click the More icon (three dots).
- Click Creator Studio.
- From Creator Studio, click the Create Post button in the top left corner.
- Click Go Live. This will take you to Live Producer.
- From Live Producer, choose between Go Live Now or Schedule a Live Video in the top left.
- Scroll down to add a Title and Description. The Description is what your audience will see, so it's usually more important than the Title.
- Adjust any other settings as needed.
- If you're scheduling the video for later, click Schedule Live Video at the bottom of the page.
- On the right, you should see a section with a Server URL and a Stream Key. Those values are what you'll use to set up Custom RTMP in the Dashboard. If you only see a Stream Key, toggle to Go Live Now for the Server URL.
Keep this page open as you continue to the next section, where you'll set up Custom RTMP in the Dashboard.
Note: If you're not scheduling the stream, when you're ready to go live, you'll need to come back to this page to initiate the stream.
Setting up a Custom RTMP Channel in the Switcher Studio Dashboard using the Facebook values
- Log into the Switcher Studio Dashboard using the same email and password you use to log into the app.
- Click Custom RTMP from the left-hand menu.
- At the top of the Custom RTMP page, click the orange Add Channel button.
- Enter a nickname for the custom channel you're creating, such as "FB RTMP." No one will see this except you, but it will make it easier to find in the app later.
- Copy+paste the Stream Key and Server URL values from Facebook.
- Click the Speed Test button to run a speed test and have Switcher automatically select the best quality settings for your stream.
- Your Broadcast Options will automatically update to best suit your speed test results.
- Tap the green Save Channel button in the bottom-right corner to save your channel.
Note: We recommend using the settings selected by the Switcher speed test. However, if you prefer to choose your own settings, click the Manual Configuration button to select a Video Resolution and Bitrate for your channel using the dropdown menus. You can manually adjust the Video Resolution and Bitrate to optimize your stream based on the quality of your Internet connection.
Once you saved the channel in the Dashboard, the channel will appear as an option under Outputs in the Switcher Studio app. Scroll beyond the screenshots for instructions on selecting a custom RTMP channel in the Switcher Studio app.
Initiating the Livestream in the Switcher Studio App
- When you're ready to stream via the Custom RTMP channel, open the Switcher Studio app on your main switching device.
- Go to the Outputs tab.
- Tap the blue arrow beside Custom RTMP.
- All the Custom RTMP channels you've created will appear in the tab based on their nickname. If you do not see the channel you created for Facebook, swipe down on the menu to refresh and sync the app with your Switcher Studio dashboard.
- Tap the the name to select it. You'll know a channel is selected when there's a blue checkmark next to the name.
- To continue with your stream, tap Outputs in the top-left corner of the quadrant.
- The channel you selected should have a blue checkmark next to it.
- When you are ready to go live, tap the big red button in the top-right corner of the app.
- If you scheduled the Facebook Live video, the video will stream will start on its own. If you did not schedule the video, you'll need to go back to the Facebook Live Producer page and click Go Live.