For general information about what Custom RTMP is and why it's used, check out the article General Information and Options for Setting up Custom RTMP.
There are two ways to set up a Custom RTMP channel with Switcher Studio:
- Directly in the Switcher Studio App (not recommended)
- Using the Switcher Studio online Dashboard (recommended)
This article walks through the second option, with step-by-step instructions to:
- Set up a new Custom RTMP channel in the Dashboard, and
- Select from previously created Custom RTMP channels.
Setting up a new Custom RTMP Channel in the Switcher Studio Dashboard
The Switcher Studio online Dashboard enables users to create and edit custom RTMP channels from any internet-connected device. Many people find this option easier to use than creating a Custom RTMP channel directly in the app, because they can use a computer. Using a computer makes it easier to retrieve and copy + paste the RTMP parameters from the third-party streaming platform to Switcher.
When creating a Custom RTMP channel in the Dashboard, Switcher will automatically adjust your quality settings based on a speed test. You can stream immediately after creating a channel, or you can save the channel to use later.
- Go to your desired streaming platform and find the Stream Key and your Server URL.
- Log into the Switcher Studio Dashboard using the same email and password you use to log into the app.
- Click Custom RTMP from the left-hand menu.
- At the top of the Custom RTMP page, click the orange Add Channel button.
- If desired, enter a nickname for the custom channel you're creating.
- Copy+paste the Stream Key and Server URL from your platform. Double-check these for accuracy. If there is a typo, your stream will not work.
- Click the Speed Test button to run a speed test and have Switcher automatically select the best quality settings for your stream.
- Your Broadcast Options will automatically update to best suit your Wi-Fi.
- Tap the green Save Channel button in the bottom-right corner to save your channel.
Note: We recommend using the settings selected by the Switcher speed test. However, if you prefer to choose your own settings, click the Manual Configuration button to select a Video Resolution and Bitrate for your channel using the dropdown menus. You can manually adjust the Video Resolution and Bitrate to optimize your stream based on the quality of your Internet connection.
Once you saved the channel in the Dashboard, the channel will appear as an option under Outputs in the Switcher Studio app. Scroll beyond the screenshots for instructions on selecting a custom RTMP channel in the Switcher Studio app.
Selecting a Previously Created Custom RTMP Channel in the Switcher Studio App
Step-by-step instructions with screenshots
- When you're ready to stream via the Custom RTMP channel, open the Switcher Studio app on your main switching device.
- Go to the Outputs tab.
- Tap the blue arrow beside Custom RTMP.
- If you do not see the channel you created, swipe down on the menu to refresh and sync the app with your Switcher Studio dashboard.
- When you see the channel, tap the name to select it. You'll know a channel is selected when there's a blue checkmark next to the name.
- To continue with your stream, tap Outputs in the top-left corner of the quadrant.
- The channel you selected should have a blue checkmark next to it.
- When you are ready to go live, tap the big red button in the top-right corner of the app.