Switcher Studio's Facebook integration allows you to easily stream to your Timeline, a Page, or a Group. Although the direct integration doesn't include Events, you can still stream to a Facebook Event with Switcher Studio using Custom RTMP.
Note: For more detailed information about what Custom RTMP is and why it's used, check out the Help Center article General Information and Options for Setting up Custom RTMP.
There are four core steps to streaming to a Facebook Event using Custom RTMP:
- Creating the Event on Facebook
- Gathering the Custom RTMP values from Facebook
- Setting up the stream in Switcher Studio
- Going live to the Event from the Switcher Studio app
Creating the Event on Facebook
Before doing anything in Switcher Studio, you'll need to create the Event on Facebook. If you have already created the Event, make sure the settings align with the instructions below.
- Start on the Page or Group you are using to create the Event. Reminder, you must be an Admin.
- Tap the plus icon in the top right. A dropdown menu will appear.
- Click/tap the Event option from the dropdown menu.
- Set the Event to Online. This is required to stream to a Facebook Event.
- Give the Event a Name, Start Date, Description, and choose a Category.
- Once you have completed these fields, click Next.
The next screen will prompt you to select a Location.
- Select Facebook Live.
- Click Next.
The next screen will allow you to add Additional Details, but none of them are required.
- Click Create Event to complete the setup.
Gathering the Custom RTMP values from Facebook
Once you have created the Event on Facebook, you'll need to gather two numbers from the Event:
- Stream Key
- Stream URL
To find these numbers:
- Go to the Event, and click on Set Up Live Video.
- On the next screen, click/tap Use Stream Key.
- After you have selected Use Stream Key, there will be a section called Live Stream Setup that shows the Server URL and Stream Key.
Keep this page open as you continue to the next section, where you'll set up the stream using Custom RTMP in the Dashboard.
Note: If you're not scheduling the stream, you'll need to come back to this page to initiate the stream.
Setting up the stream in Switcher Studio
There are two ways to set up a Custom RTMP stream with Switcher Studio:
- Using the Switcher Studio online Dashboard
- Directly in the Switcher Studio App
This article walks through the first option because it's much easier to set up Custom RTMP using the Dashboard than it is using the iOS app.
- Log into the Switcher Studio Dashboard using the same email and password you use to log into the app.
- Click Custom RTMP from the left-hand menu.
- At the top of the Custom RTMP page, click the orange Add Channel button.
- Enter a nickname for the custom channel you're creating, such as "FB RTMP." No one will see this except you, but it will make it easier to find in the app later.
- Copy+paste the Stream Key and Server URL values from Facebook.
- Click the Speed Test button to run a speed test and have Switcher automatically select the best quality settings for your stream. You can also skip this option, if you want to manually configure the settings, or if the test is taking too long.
- Your Broadcast Options will automatically update to best suit your speed test results.
- Tap the green Save Channel button in the bottom-right corner to save your channel.
Once you saved the channel in the Dashboard, the channel will appear as an option under Outputs in the Switcher Studio app.
Going Live to the Event from the Switcher Studio App
- When you're ready to stream to the Event, open the Switcher Studio app on your main switching device.
- Go to the Outputs tab.
- Tap the blue arrow beside Custom RTMP.
- All the Custom RTMP channels you've created will appear in the tab based on their nickname. If you do not see the channel you created for Facebook, swipe down on the menu to refresh and sync the app with your Switcher Studio dashboard.
- Tap the the name to select it. You'll know a channel is selected when there's a blue checkmark next to the name.
- To continue with your stream, tap Outputs in the top-left corner of the quadrant.
- The channel you selected should have a blue checkmark next to it.
- When you are ready to go live, tap the big red button in the top-right corner of the app.
- If you scheduled the Facebook Live video, the video will stream will start on its own. If you did not schedule the video, you'll need to go back to the Facebook Live Producer page and click Go Live.