Most issues that cause low-quality or interrupted broadcasts can be remedied by adjusting settings in Switcher Studio. There are 3 underlying issues that cause most broadcasting issues:
- Devices are not running the most recent operating system or Switcher app.
- Your network cannot support the Stream Quality Settings you're using in Switcher.
- Your Wi-Fi cannot support the camera communication mode you're using in Switcher.
These issues can be easily diagnosed and remedied by walking through the sections below. If you already know the cause, skip to:
Ensuring your devices are running the most recent operating system and Switcher app
Ensure all devices are running the latest iOS / iPadOS versions
Not sure what iOS / iPadOS version you have or what version you should be on? See Apple's published updates and instructions on updating your devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222
Ensure all devices have the updated version of the Switcher Studio app installed
To see if you have the most recent version of the app :
- Go to the App Store on your device
- Tap your profile pic/icon in the top right corner
- Look at the list of apps below that need updating
- Pull down on the screen to refresh the list of apps that need updates
- Tap Update next to Switcher Studio if it's on the list or simply Update All
Optimizing Settings if Your Broadcast is Interrupted or Experiences Major Issues
If you are having issues like your audio/visual is out of sync, there's lag, or your stream gets cut off, you're likely having a problem with sending the broadcast to the platform successfully. This is usually due to a mismatch between your network speed and the Stream Quality settings you're using in Switcher Studio. Here's how to determine the issue and the resolve it:
Perform a speed test
You must have an upload speed of at least 3 Mbps to adequately stream video. If not, you will need to improve your network speeds by upgrading your network hardware or internet service. If you haven't already, perform a speed test on your mobile device here: https://speedof.me/
Adjust the Stream Quality setting in Switcher
When setting up your stream, one of the most important options is the Stream Quality setting. The options shown in Switcher Studio correspond to the following resolutions:
- Low = 480x270, 500kbps
- Medium = 640x360, 800kbps
- High = 960x540, 1200kbps
- HD = 1280x720, 2000kbps
Note: These resolutions assume 1080p is not enabled.
If you have at least 3 Mbps upload speed, you can improve the reliability of your broadcast by adjusting your stream quality settings as follows:
- Go to the Outputs tab
- Tap the blue arrow next to the platform you are broadcasting to (e.g. Facebook)
- Under Stream Quality select a lower setting than the current setting.
Optimizing Settings if You Have Issues with Remote Cameras and your Main Switching Device
If you are having issues with the quality of the video you're receiving from remote cameras to the main switching device, it usually means there's a mismatch between the strength of your Wi-Fi and the Camera Optimization Mode you're using in Switcher. You can resolve this issue by adjusting the Wi-Fi Camera Optimization Mode in Switcher Studio.
Adjust the Wi-Fi Optimization Mode Setting in Switcher
- Go to the Outputs tab.
- Scroll down to the Wi-Fi Camera Communication section.
- Tap Wi-Fi Optimization Mode.
- Tap Reinforced Wi-Fi Mode (Note: this mode introduces a 1-second delay on the displayed video).
For more in-depth information about Wi-Fi Optimization Settings, check out the Help Center article: Wi-Fi Optimization Mode