In addition to connecting remote cameras, you can also have a PC display as an Input within Switcher Studio. This type of screensharing allows you to bring in your display to show things like Powerpoint slides, webpages, and displays from other programs. In order to use a PC as an Input, you'll need to install our free screensharing program, called Switcher Cast.
Before installing Switcher Cast, there are some important things to note:
- Screensharing from your computer does not transmit audio. To include audio from your computer, you'll need to use an audio mixer with your production (see External Audio sources for more information).
- Your computer must be on the same Wi-Fi network as the iOS devices you're using for Switcher Studio.
- Switcher Cast cannot be used with an Ethernet connection.
- Switcher Cast for Windows is currently a beta program. We recommend sharing slides, websites, and still images only. Webcams and video transmission are not supported for PCs.
- For best results, we recommend setting your computer's screen resolution to 1920x1080.
Here are the minimum requirements for running Switcher Cast for Windows:
- Intel Core i7 dual-core processor
- Windows 10, version 1607 or higher (check your Windows version)
- 8GB DDR4 RAM
- iTunes must be installed
- Bonjour must be installed
Installing Switcher Cast on your PC
To install Switcher Cast for Windows:
- Go to the Downloads section of your Switcher Studio Dashboard: https://dashboard.switcherstudio.com/downloads
- Select the Switcher Cast for Windows option.
- Locate the downloaded file on your PC (usually your Downloads folder).
- Right-click on the "SwitcherCastWindows" .zip folder, and select "Extract". This will allow you to extract the files for installation.
- You should see a separate folder for "SwitcherCastWindows" that is uncompressed. Open it.
- Double-click the Installer in the"SwitcherCastWindows" folder.
- Because this is a beta program, Windows will give you a warning with the option of Don't Run. Do not click this option. Instead, click More Info.
- Select the Run Anyway option.
- The installer will appear on the screen for a few seconds, then disappear. It will create a Switcher Cast icon on your desktop. Double-click the icon to launch it.
Bringing in your PC as an Input in Switcher Studio
Opening Switcher Cast on your PC
- Double-click the Switcher Studio icon on your Desktop (or the location you saved it when installing).
- A small, white box will appear on your screen, which means Switcher Cast is open and running.
Enabling your PC's sources as Inputs
- Open the Switcher Studio iOS app on the device you're using as the switcher.
- Tap the Inputs tab (camera icon in lower tab bar).
- Under Sources on Your Wi-Fi Network, you should see a Desktop option.
- Tap the Desktop name to enable it as an Input in your production. Once enabled, a blue checkmark will appear next to it, and it will show up in your Sources / Production panel.