Why Are There Closed Captions on my Facebook Live Video?
In April 2020, Facebook added automatic captioning to all Facebook Live videos. As a result, closed captions appear on all videos when the sound is muted. If a viewer unmutes the video, the captions will disappear. Viewers have the option to turn on captions at any time, even when the sound is on.
Disabling Automatic Captioning on Facebook
Currently, it's not possible to disable Facebook's automatic captioning directly in Switcher Studio. However, if you manage a Page and have access to Facebook's Live Producer dashboard to manage your Page's content, you can turn off the feature, as follows:
- Go to your Live Producer dashboard on Facebook here: https://facebook.com/live/producer (Note: Not all users have access to the new Live Producer dashboard).
- Under Post in the left-hand menu, click the "Share to a Page you Manage" option.
- Select the Page you want to manage captions for.
- In the center of the dashboard, scroll down to the Settings section.
- Click the arrow next to Viewing.
- Uncheck the Auto-Generated Captions option.
By disabling the feature, it will turn off auto-generated captions for Facebook Live videos posted to the Page.