The following guide will illustrate how to set-up Periscope for use with Switcher Studio. You will only have to follow this process for the first time you stream with Switcher.
If you prefer a video tutorial, check out the video below:
Setting Up Periscope & Periscope Producer
- The basic Periscope app will not be able to connect to Switcher Studio by default. You first need to get access the Periscope Producer program. To do this, open your Periscope App.
- Tap on the Profile icon in the top-right corner. It will look like the silhouette of a human.
- You will now see your Profile information. Scroll down and select "Settings".
- Tap on "Periscope Producer". Take note of the RTMP publishing information (Publishing URL, Stream Name). You will need these momentarily.
Setting Up Switcher Studio
- Log into the Switcher Studio online Dashboard.
- Select the "Custom RTMP" tab from the menu on the left-hand side.
- Select the orange "+Add Channel" button from on the right-hand side of your screen.
- Type "Periscope" for your Channel Name. Enter in the Stream Key and Stream URL that you wrote down previously from the Periscope app.
- Select Manual Configuration.
- Change Video Format/Resolution to "1280x720".
- Change Video Bit-Rate to "800kbps".
- Change Audio Format to "Mono @ 44100Hz".
- Change Audio Bit-Rate to "64kbps".
- Select the "Save Channel" button. Your Periscope channel is now saved and ready to use!
Adding Periscope To Your Switcher App
- While on the "Outputs" tab inside the Switcher Studio app, select "Custom RTMP".
- A list of previously configured channels should be present. Your new "Periscope" channel should be one of them. Select "Periscope". You will be taken back to the "Outputs" tab, and "Periscope" should now have a blue checkmark next to it.
- When you are ready to go, select "Rec+Broadcast" in the top-right corner of the app. "Rec+Broadcast" should highlight in red. There is only one more step, now.
Starting Your Stream On Periscope
- Open Periscope on a device that is NOT already in use. You cannot open Periscope on any device that is used as a camera or main switcher for Switcher Studio; this has to be done using a separate device not currently chained to your Switcher broadcast.
- After opening Periscope, you are given the option to "Preview Broadcast". Do this, and make sure that everything looks okay.
- When you are ready to go LIVE, select "Start Broadcast". You are now live on Periscope using Switcher Studio Pro!
You will only have to follow this set-up procedure the first time you use Periscope with Switcher. When you are ready to stream again, you will only need to open up Switcher Pro, make sure there is a blue checkmark next to "Periscope" in the Outputs tab, tap "Rec+Broadcast" in the top-right corner, and then start the Stream inside of Periscope using your separate device.