Switcher Media Manager is a free Mac app that makes it easy to wirelessly send a Director Mode composition from the Switcher Studio app to a Mac for editing in Final Cut Pro X (FCPX). Once in FCPX, you can edit any of the camera cuts or assets used during your production.
Note: Footage recorded with Video Chat is not captured in Director Mode and will not be included when you use Switcher Media Manager. For more detailed information about Director Mode, check out the Help Center article: Director Mode.
Downloading the Switcher Media Manager app
Before exporting your video files from the Switcher app for the first time, you will need to download Switcher Media Manager to your Mac:
- Click this link to go directly to the Switcher Media Manager page in the App Store. If the link doesn't work, open the App Store app and search “Switcher Media Manager."
- Click Get.
- Click Install.
- Enter your Apple ID and password to begin the download.
Using Switcher Media Manager to transfer video files
Step 1: Launch Switcher Media Manager on your Mac
- Open Switcher Media Manager. ensuring that your Mac is on the same WiFi network as your main switcher device.
- Once Switcher Media Manager is open, it will look like the screenshot below.
Step 2: Select the Director Mode composition you want to transfer from your main switcher device.
- Open the Switcher Studio app the iOS device with your recording.
- Tap the hamburger menu in the upper left.
- Tap My Recordings.
- Tap the recording you want to transfer.
- Tap Director Mode Recording.
- Select Journal.
- Select All.
Step 3: Export the file.
- Tap the Share icon (box with arrow pointing up).
- Select Send to Computer/FCPX.
- Choose the computer you want to send the file to, and the transfer will begin.
Step 4 : Complete the transfer on your Mac.
When the transfer finishes, the file will show up in the Switcher Media Manager app on your Mac. To complete the transfer:
- Click the file name in the left panel it to reveal all of the tracks.
- Click the Transfer to FCPX button.
- FCPX will automatically launch and an Open Library window will pop up.
- Confirm the right library has been selected and click Choose. The files will then be editable in FCPX