Switcher Studio's Youtube integration allows you to easily stream to your channel. There are four core steps, which are:
- Enabling Livestreaming on YouTube (one-time to setup)
- Linking your YouTube account to Switcher Studio (one-time to setup)
- Setting up the livestream
- Starting the livestream broadcast
This article provides options and step-by-step instructions for each step. Use the links in the list above to skip to a specific section.
No Subscriber Requirement
When using Switcher Studio to livestream on YouTube, there is no minimum subscriber requirement. Switcher Studio is an encoder that bypasses the 1,000 subscriber minimum that is required when using the mobile YouTube app.
Enabling Livestreaming on YouTube
Before going live on YouTube, either directly or with Switcher Studio, you'll need to enable livestreaming. This should be a one-time process.
Note: It can take up to 24 hours for YouTube to enable livestreaming.
- Go to YouTube.com on a computer.
- Click the camera icon in the top right.
- Click Go live.
- Click the Enable button to request livestreaming access.
- If you haven't already, follow the prompts to verify your channel.
- Once verified, the livestreaming window will show a "Ready in 24 hours" message.
Linking your YouTube account to Switcher Studio
Linking your YouTube account to Switcher Studio is usually a one-time process, which you can do either directly through the Switcher Studio iOS app or the Switcher Studio Dashboard. Many people prefer the Dashboard option because they can use a computer, and if they're already logged into YouTube, it makes the setup easier.
Linking your YouTube account in the Switcher Studio Dashboard
- Go to the Streaming Providers tab in the Switcher Studio Dashboard
- Click the YouTube icon.
- Click Link YouTube Account.
- Select the email address associated with your YouTube channel. If you are not already logged into YouTube with that email address, you will be promoted to enter your Google password.
- Click Allow.
You should receive a confirmation message that your account has been linked. If you are streaming right away, click Continue to move on to the next step. Otherwise, you can exit out of the Dashboard.
Linking your YouTube account in the Switcher Studio Mobile App
If you'd prefer to link your account using the Switcher Studio app, it's a slightly different process.
- Go to the Outputs tab on your main switcher device.
- Tap the blue "+" icon in the upper-right corner of the Outputs tab.
- Tap the YouTube icon from the dialog box.
- Tap the Link YouTube Account button.
- Select the Google account tied to your YouTube channel. If the account you want to use isn't shown, tap Use Another Account.
- If prompted, enter the email and/or password for your Google account.
- Tap Next.
- Tap Allow.
You should see a message confirming that your account has been linked.
Setting up the Livestream
After you have enabled livestreaming on YouTube and linked your YouTube account to Switcher, you will always begin with this step.
- Open the Switcher Studio app on your main switcher device and go to the Outputs tab (box with arrow icon).
- Tap the blue arrow next to YouTube.
- Tap Create Event.
This will open the YouTube event creator window, shown here:
- Enter a title for the stream under Event title.
- Optional: Add additional details under Event description.
- Optional: Use the toggles to mark the stream as for Kids and/or to allow embedding.
- If you are subscribed to a plan that includes Scheduling, you can tap the toggle button to enable scheduling options.
- Tap the dropdown below Event privacy, to select between Private, Public, and Unlisted.
- Tap the dropdown below Select stream quality and tap the desired setting.
- Tap Create Live Event.
Starting the Livestream Broadcast in Switcher Studio
After tapping Create Live Event, you’ll be taken back to the main Switcher Studio screen, with the Outputs tab visible.
- Next to YouTube, you should see the name of the stream you just created.
- Tap YouTube to select it at your streaming destination. Once selected, there will be a blue checkmark visible.
- To go live, tap the big red button in the top right.
Important Information if Creating a Stream Directly on YouTube.com
We recommend using the instructions above to create the livestream and go live using Switcher Studio's YouTube integration. However, if you decide to create the stream directly on YouTube.com instead, and then use Switcher Studio to stream, there are a few key settings to change:
Enable Auto-start & Enable Auto-stop
- If you schedule a stream on YouTube.com, you'll need to turn on the Enable Auto-start and Enable Auto-stop options.
- If you are using Custom RTMP to stream to YouTube, you'll need to turn on the Enable Auto-start and Enable Auto-stop options.
Note: If these options are not enabled, your stream will not start/stop on YouTube unless you manually initiate/end it on YouTube.com.
You can find these options under Stream Settings, which you can access as follows:
- Go to the Live Control Room for your YouTube channel.
- Click the calendar icon in the left-hand menu to manage your streams.
- Click the title of the stream you want to edit.
- Click the toggles next to Enable Auto-start and Enable Auto-stop. When they are enabled, the buttons are blue and to the right, as shown below.